Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My essential Android apps list

Over time and through two full cycles of Android phones (The HTC Incredible and now the Samsung Galaxy S3) I have come to rely on quite a few applications.  It was interesting to me when I picked up my new phone in July because I really got a chance to reconfigure my phone and the various home screens.  Since then I've even dumped a few apps and found a few new ones but these are the staples of my Android life and I hope that you will check them out when you have time.  Each of these apps I use on a regular basis.  I have a lot more on my phone but this is the list that would go with me to my next phone and beyond.  Just hit the Google Play link and type in the app's name to find it.  Most of them are free or low cost so what are you waiting for, get out there and find some new stuff to play with on your phone!

Google Play Store

Everyday Use

Dropbox - Instant camera uploads to the cloud and your other files always available
Weatherbug HD - Great forecasts and a cool widget for your homescreen
Dolphin Browser - The best alternate browser hands down
Flixster - Find movie times and watch trailers
Gas Buddy - Find the cheapest gas!
RadarNow - Shows instant radar wherever you are, great for camping and hiking
Google Reader - Catch up on all your rss feeds
Springpad - Take notes on anything, I use it for grocery lists household notes like filter sizes
Shop Savvy - Scan a UPC code get the cheapest price around
QuickOffice - View excel, word and powerpoint documents on your phone

Craigslist - Post items for sale easily, browse what's available to buy
Key Ring - Store all those loyalty cards on your phone
Slacker Radio - Great mobile radio with good stations to choose from
Netflix - Watch shows while working out or anytime
Flashlight - Light the way, widget provides instant on and off from home screen
Mint - Track our finances
Redbox - Find out if your local Red Box has that movie you want for tonight

Utilities

Speed Test - Shows how fast your internet connection is
Elixer - Flexible extensions to android such as more icons and instant tether on and off

Games

Cut the Rope - Great puzzle game
FlickGolf! - Relaxing and fun sports game
Hex Defense - Challenging real time tower defense
Jetpack Joyride - Fun arcade challenge
Plants Vs Zombies - A great classic tower defense game
Skateboard - Fun arcade action with great unlocks
Where's my Water - Interesting puzzle game that will make you think
Wind-up Knight - Platformer with cool graphics

Other Apps


CamScanner - Scan any document into a pdf, receipts, etc.
Shazam - Listens for playing music and will tell you what song/artist is
NFL Mobile - Track your favorite team and all scores
Yahoo Fantasy Football - Keep up with your fantasy team
WiFi Analyzer  - Shows you signal strength of available wifi

Zillow - Real Estate pricing

1 comment:

  1. Nq booster
    Amazon kindle,local,MP3
    100 doors of revenge
    AVG antivirus, lookout
    Drudge report, ESPN
    Foursquare
    Pandora, spotify, songza, tune in
    Picasa
    TweetDeck for twitter

    And for a off one TED


    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments relevant to the particular blog post. Try to keep the comments positive and please avoid flaming either me or other posters. I reserve the right to delete any posts that are not relevant but I promise not to be an overbearing moderator. Thanks!